Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Ignorance towards natural hair.

Every time I tell someone that I'm going natural the only responses I get are:

"Like Erykah Badu??"
"Why would you do that? You're gonna have slave hair!"
"You goin nappy??"
"But you have good hair now."

I look at these people and try to explain to them that natural hair isn't "nappy" hair. That is a stigma that has been used to describe Afro-type hair because it isn't straight like the Europeans. I try to explain that natural hair for the most part is kinky and curly NOT nappy. One young lady said that "There's a difference between natural and nappy." and I took that as a positive statement because she was right. I later found out that she was referring to me and she suggested I use a flat iron. I was so engulfed with rage because they don't get it! If I wanted striaght hair I would continue to get relaxers. She also doesn't understand that using heat too early or even at all during my transition can cause major heat damage and my hair will become permanently straight. I want the kinks and the coils. I want to embrace what God has given me. I can't believe we don't even know what our real texture is and think it's a bad thing!

The Erykah Babu number has been pulled several times also. Yes, I will have hair like hers but I will not wear it in a afro. People assume that natural is always the afro....

The one thing that irritates me the most is the good hair/bad hair number. THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN GOOD HAIR AND BAD HAIR IS THE HEALTH. HEALTHY HAIR IS GOOD HAIR NO MATTER IF IT'S STRAIGHT OR AFRO-TYPE!!

I'm pretty sure I have more to say but can't focus right now I have homework to do. Lol. But before you and I leave watch this video from my natural idol on ignorance towards natural hair! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment